HISTORIC MULE BARN FULFILLS NEW PURPOSE
Built in 1913 using the slip form construction technique, this barn once housed mules that pulled farm equipment at the Georgia Experiment Station. A recent renovation transformed it into the first dining location on the University of Georgia’s Griffin campus.
Many historical elements were preserved during the renovation: names of the mules written above the pegs that held their bridles, crop weight calculations written on the walls years ago, and animal tracks left in the concrete floors. A glass window was placed where the hay drop/lift was located to allow a view into the second story of the barn. The café, in the heart of the campus quad near the Student Learning Center, welcomes the public as well as students, faculty, and staff, and hosts special events and rotating exhibits.
298 HIGGINS ROAD, GRIFFIN, GA 30223
BUILDING AREA: 2,800 SF
COVERED AREA: 1,350 SF
DESIGN CONTRACT AWARD: $758,807
FINAL COST: $758,807
CONSTRUCTION DELIVERY METHOD:
CONSTRUCTION PLANNED: 6 months
FINAL CONSTRUCTION DURATION: 6 months
SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION: June 22, 2018
UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA GRIFFIN CAMPUS: Board of Regents, University System of Georgia
CONTRACTOR: Lusk & Company, Inc.
PRINCIPAL-IN-CHARGE: W. Valdon Smith, Jr., AIA
PROJECT ARCHITECT: Kenneth Moore, AIA